The Migration Maritime Taskforce has been established to explore how best to apply the Migration Act 1958 to resource project workers in offshore Australian Industry.
With a view to establishing draft legislation, a discussion paper has been released with the review with a report set for the end of 2012.
The key objectives of the review are to:
- ensure that the right to work in the offshore resources industry by people who are
not Australian citizens, is, to the maximum extent permitted by Australia’s international
obligations, regulated consistently in all areas over which Australia has jurisdiction
- create legislative certainty in order to promote continuing investment in the offshore resources industry
- promote opportunities for Australians to work on Australian resources
- protect the rights of workers in the offshore resources industry
- maintain the integrity in existing, interrelated border legislation.
FREE legislation news, delivered weekly.
Sign up now.#WeLoveLegislation Tweets
NEW information resources - great for training.