Information Resource Centre
Common Legislation Queries
- What is a regulation?
- What is the difference between principal and amending legislation?
- What is the common structure of an Act or Regulation and where are the amendments found?
- What is a commencement provision and how does it affect legislation?
- What is National Uniform Legislation and what are some examples?
- How do Acts, Regulations and Bills cease operation in each jurisdiction?
- How are Amendments Displayed in Consolidations?
- What is a bill and how does it become an Act?
- What is an Administrative Arrangements Order?
- What is draft legislation and what happens to it when Government changes?
- How is Parliament prorogued and how do governments change?
- What is a double dissolution and what does that mean for Parliament?
Structure of Government
- What is Parliament in each State/Territory?
- What is the Executive?
- What are the superior courts which form the doctrine of precedent?
- Law Reform in Australia
- Customary Law Recognition in Australia
- International Law Recognition in Australia
The Court System
- What is the doctrine of separation of powers?
- What role does the judiciary play?
- Jury Trials in Australia
- Key Players in the Court
- The Trial Process
- Alternative Dispute Resolution in Australian Law
Can’t find what you are looking for? Look at our Frequently Asked Questions.